Designed to teach tennis as a lifetime sport to be enjoyed for recreational pleasure and to offer the opportunities to those who wish to excel as competitive players.
The Indianapolis Community Tennis Program became the management arm of the Washington Township Schools’ Community Tennis Program in 2014. The MSD of Washington Township has been our partner in bringing tennis opportunities to the extended community since 1964. The Program’s 46 Courts are located at three locations: The Barbara S. Wynne Tennis Center with a large Tennis House and 34 courts. Address 1805 East 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46240; Eastwood Tennis Center, 4401 East 62nd Street, with 6 courts and bathrooms; and Westlane Tennis Center, 6 courts located at 1301 West 73rd Street. Classes are offered at all three locations during the Spring and Summer months. 2015 marks the 51st summer of our Tennis Program which was founded in 1964 by Barbara Wynne.
USTA Programs are offered from the 10 and under QuickStart pathway to all ages and all levels of instruction, fun intermediate programs. Dan Brunette, Stephanie Hazlett, Bryan Smith and Jeff Smith head the Tournament Players’ High Performance Program which serves 300+ players during the summer months. Details about all Classes and programs are available on line by going to Classes at the Barbara S. Wynne Tennis Center and highlighting Junior Programs; Adult; Tournament; or Camp. Adult classes are offered as are additional classes at Westlane Middle School.
The Tennis Program charity, Kids Helping Kids, has donated over $600,000 to Riley Children’s Foundation since 1983.
All classes and programs are open to the public and there is no membership fee.
Fifty-four years ago, the program was founded by Barbara S. Wynne. Barbara, began the tennis program with the vision that tennis can enhance one’s athletic ability, as well as one’s personal life. In 1964 the program grew from her backyard court to the eight tennis courts at North Central High School. Thirty courts were eventually built as well as a tennis house. In 2003, Washington Township finished construction on a multi-million dollar renovation project for the tennis house. The facility was given the name of Barbara. S. Wynne Tennis Center in honor of it’s founder. Currently the program is fundraising to construct a state of the art 8 court indoor facility. Click here for more information.